Friday, August 2, 2013

Storage Rack for Cardstock Paper

Hi Stampers,
I LOVE ORGANIZING THINGS IN MY CRAFT ROOM!!!  My biggest challenge as a Card Maker was to find a way to organize and store all my cardstock.  I wanted to be able to store my 12”x12” Designer Papers and also all of my 8 1/2” x 11” cardstock paper too.  The pre-made paper shelves were so expensive, so I decided to make the shelf unit myself using a wire cube storage system. (It was actually pretty cheap in price to make too).

 
(My shelf unit above has 38 shelves, 19 on each side)

I purchased my shelf cubes from Lowes. They were made by Style Selections. It is the Black Wire Shelves System. (Item #394787-Model #HD-137730). These have since been discontinued, but you can get similar shelves at most stores. You need to just make sure the measurements are close to the size of these so they will fit your 12” x 12” papers too. Here are the measurements of the units I had purchased. 

  
(Length (Inches) 14.75, Width (Inches) 13.75, Wire Shelf Length 2 ft, Depth (Inches) 3.3, Color Black).

Step 1 - You will need to purchase 4 boxes of Cube Systems (make sure that 12 shelves come in a box to your systems, as you need 48 shelves to work with To be able to make the double width- 3 cube high shelves unit like mine as in the COLORED PHOTO above.  Here is a brief outline of the usage of shelves:
  • (2) Partial boxes will be used for the for the base cube shape using up 17 of the 24 shelves and leaving you 7 shelves left over.
  • You will be using (2) shelves on the bottom, (2) shelves on the top, (4) in the middle, (3) shelves down each side and (3) shelves down the middle a total of 17 shelves.
  • This leaves you 7 shelves from the two boxes above and 24 shelves from the next two unused boxes for a total of 31 shelves to work with.
  • You will use 15 shelves on each side for the inside shelves that will be a total of 30 more shelves you use, leaving you (1) shelf leftover to save in case you need to replace a shelf someday.
  • My total unit counting the base and top shelves makes 38 paper shelves, 19 usable shelves on each side of paper rack.
Step 2 - Purchase 4 (100) pkg. Bag of 4” cable ties

Step 3 - Construct the Base Cube Shape
  • Construct the basic cube shape using (2) shelves on the bottom, (2) shelves on the top, (4) in the middle, (3) shelves down each side for a total of 6, and (3) shelves down the middle a total of 17 shelves.  It will look like the image below except (3) cubes high instead of 2.

Step 4 - Insert Shelves, Secure With Cable Ties
  • Now you have 7 shelves left over from the boxes you used to build the base and 24 shelves from the next two boxes for a total of 31 shelves to work with for inner shelves.  Use 15 shelves inside each side of the unit, a total of 30 inner shelves you use.  Slide the shelves in at 2” intervals into the cube and secure with cable ties. (I put the ties at EVERY JOINT and also secured tightly to the back diagonal X supports too).  Paper is heavy and the more ties you use, the more stable the structure!   I used almost all 400 of my ties up.  When all the cable ties are in place, cut the excess part of the cable tie that sticks out off.  (My fingers were sore from pulling all of those ties).  You now have (1) shelf leftover to save in case you need to replace a shelf someday.
Step 5 – Adding Labels to the Shelves


I used my Brother Label Maker #PT-1880 to make labels for the the shelves.  The label backing peels off in (2) strips horizontal across the back of the label.  I peeled off only the top one and left the protective paper on bottom half and then adhered the sticky top of the label to the shelf front so I know what colored paper is in that shelf. 

Thank you so much for viewing my cards and for taking the time to leave me your comments! I read all of them, and I sincerely appreciate all of them!

If you would like to automatically get my blog posts by email all you have to do is enter your email address in the upper right hand corner of my blog where it says "follow me by email" then you'll never miss a a card or project again.

You can purchase supplies for this card and all my projects on my online Stampin' Up! Website by clicking the Shop 24/7 link below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You so much for taking the time to leave your comment!